The insatiable appetite of cats can lead us to make the mistake of giving you more food than you really need. This can, at the very least, cause you to gain weight that could lead to more serious problems. If this happened to your pet, these steps on how to diet an obese cat will come in handy.
Why Feline Obesity
Sometimes we assume that our pets are not going to have certain diseases that we suffer because they are animals. Do not fool ourselves, although we are very different, our interior is very similar because we have the same organs, the same fluids and everything works very similarly. Therefore, yes, even if it sounds strange, cats can suffer from obesity.
The causes of these do not differ much from those that happen in our case. These are the most common:
- Bad nutrition. A low-quality feed may contain an excess of fats that will cause the animal to gradually gain weight and almost without realizing it. We may notice when the problem is big.
- Excessive food. As we mentioned at the beginning, cats are always hungry and, perhaps pity, we tend to feed them more than they should. This is a bug that many cat owners make.
- Processed foods. Processed foods such as canned tuna, ham or sausages have added sugars, fats, salts, and other components that are not beneficial to the animal and that can lead to weight gain.
- A passive life. We already know that cats can spend many hours a day sleeping, and we fall into the error that, since they do not need to go outside as happens with dogs, we do not exercise with them. Playing with them, or taking them somewhere they can run, will make your pet in good health.
- Thyroid. Yes, cats may have thyroid problems or another disease that leads to obesity. In these cases, you will have to consult with your veterinarian what is the best way to feed your partner so as not to harm him anymore.
How to diet an obese cat
As we said in the previous paragraph, if your cat does not have any disease, there are several practical tips that you can follow to diet an obese cat. These are the simplest and most effective we know:
Reduce the amount
If you think that the fault is that you have crossed the marks established by the manufacturers of the feed with which you feed your cat, you have to reduce this amount urgently. We understand that you think that your cat is hungry all day, but this is nothing more than his uncontrolled intrinsic instinct of always having ‘a prey’ to which the tooth can swell.
A practical way to make the cat think that it eats all day, and to take away your guilt because you think you don’t give it enough, is to distribute the shot several times a day. That is if your cat has to eat 150 grams of feed per day, divide these into three 50-gram shots. The same happens if the diet is wet or the diet.
Encourage her to exercise
Playing with your cat, looking for a closed park where he can run, or throwing objects down a corridor in the house, will move his hunter instinct and run like a madman. Another thing you can do is adopt a second cat to play with. Both will compete in games and races and encourage your cat to be more active.
Change the feed for natural food
The diet is recommended for all animals. Including this to diet, an obese cat is very effective since you can reduce the intake of fats and proteins, and replace it with vegetables and fruits that will make your cat lose weight. You should always do this under the supervision of your trusted veterinarian.
Mix the feed with water
If you are not convinced about the raw diet, putting water in the cat’s feed will inflate the food and the animal will have a greater feeling of fullness. This will make your cat lose weight as long as you have reduced the amount of feed you gave him previously.
If you need to diet an obese, calm cat, surely after reading this article you have realized that it is simpler than you imagined.